Monday, March 14, 2016

Volume 58 - Fortitude

 John Lennon opined that, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."  (I know -- I've used this before --  but it is so apt don't you think?)

Every so often (if we're lucky) or sometimes way too often (if we're not) life hands us situations and circumstances that we neither want nor are prepared for and we honestly wonder if we will even survive them.    Yet somehow we human beings must deal.  Many people in my community are in that place right now.

Nine days ago, my daughter  (20) lost a good friend in a sudden and tragic accident.  Two young lives were lost just like that.  She was an integral part of my daughter's high school life. Sports trips, student council, girls nights, grad celebrations, they shared so much of them.  My heart aches at the loss of this young life.

I think of her family and her friends.  Those  many people for whom she was/is an integral part of their lives and my heart aches for them. 

I am reminded of times when life handed me some really crappy circumstances.  Family members in deep trouble, multiple deaths and other losses in a short period of time, I could go on....(and I'm sure if you think of your own life, you could fill in your own blanks)    Challenges that we felt we could not and certainly did not want to face. Challenges we may have felt would take us  -- and perhaps even keep us -- down.

The fortitude situations like this call for  seems almost impossible to attain at first.  And truly, sometimes all we can do is hunker down and tune the world out for  a time.  There is a season to intense grief, a time when pulling inward and numbing out is appropriate.  And like spring, eventually the bedrock of our characters does call us out to life again.   When we are faced with losses and challenges, when we are tempted to just give up,  I think it is fortitude that keeps us keeping on.

Linda Kavelin Popov describes fortitude as "strength of character.  ....the will to endure no matter what happens, with courage, confidence and patience.  Fortitude", she reminds us, "is deeply rooted in the bedrock of our will.  We cultivate it by strengthening our resolve to face whatever comes.  It springs from devotion to a purpose we believe to be real and important.  It grows as we face and overcome insurmountable obstacles.  It keeps us going.  Our fortitude can astonish us."

At those times when the obstacles seem insurmountable, we have to go deep within ourselves and find the 'bedrock of our will' - to keep on keeping on.  It doesn't happen easily or quickly.  Sometimes it doesn't happen without  a lot of grief and pain, yet eventually,  it does happen.

I am comforted to know that many people are rallying around this family.  May it be so for all of us if, God forbid, we face such seeming insurmountable obstacles in our lives.  May we never feel alone in our pain.

The anonymous quote Linda Kavelin Popov uses for fortitude is "Hold your precious heart steadfast in fortitude until the siege is passed and you will be duly nourished."

Sometimes the siege takes a very long time to pass.  May all beings have companions as they face those sieges in their lives.  May they know they are not alone.  May we all become the kind of friends, neighbors and family members that have each others backs.....May mourning be more accepted and recognized in our fast paced, hectic culture.

If you are currently 'under siege' (in anyway),  may fortitude (and Grace)  carry you to higher ground.  In the meantime, may you receive all the nourishing and comforting you need and deserve. 

Namaste

~Kate

The Practice of Fortitude

I have the will to survive.

I have the patience to endure.

I am guided by a clear purpose.

I know what I care about.

Whatever life brings makes me stronger.

I have amazing endurance.  

I am thankful for the gift of Fortitude.   It is the strength of my soul.

Reflection Questions

What in my life requires fortitude?

Who in my life could use a companion as they face seeming insurmountable obstacles?

How has fortitude astonished me?

What is my clear purpose?


  





No comments: