Sunday, August 11, 2013

Volume 53 -- Steadfastness

I don't even want to know how many posts I missed this year, so I didn't look.  And I won't make any promises about 'getting back on track' -- at my house, I'm definitely in 'one day at a time mode'.

So it rankled a bit at first,  to choose Steadfastness out of the 100 possibilities.   But, having travelled with these qualities (some go so far as to call them an order of Angels)  these virtues, and knowing their power I trust that,  initial reaction aside, there is always a gift and a wisdom for me each time I randomly pick one.

"Steadfastness is being steady, persevering and dependable. (check -- blog notwithstanding)  We remain true to our purpose through whatever happens.  (check)  Steadfastness grows whenever we rise to a challenge.  (hmmmm, hadn't thought of it that way -- it kind of breeds itself)  It bolsters our will to keep going when life tests our resolve. (and to borrow an Oprahism -- one thing I know for sure is  -- Life Tests Our Resolve over and over again, often at the most inconvenient times)  We choose a direction, then keep a steady pace.  (slow and steady wins the race?)  We are faithful and enduring with those we love.  We commit ourselves to something for however long it may take.  We are like a strong ship in a storm.  We don't allow ourselves to be battered or blown off course.  We hold on and ride the waves."  Linda Kavelin Popov

Whenever I choose a virtue, I remind myself to take it as an invitation, confirmation or affirmation - NEVER condemnation.  So rather than beat myself about not being steadfast with this blog recently, I take it as an invitation.

Given the rest of the stuff (the life thing) that I'm called to being steadfast with these days, I may or may not accept that particular invitation.   I hope I do though, cause just sitting here, not really know what's going to come next is actually enjoyable.

But I do accept this as confirmation and affirmation of my steadfastness -- without which I could never have raised four children, largely alone.  Or have accomplished the things I have accomplished.

We --  all of us -- have our share of tests.  Individually and collectively -- things are tough out there.

There's the groaning planet and the moaning deniers.  (who have their own tests)  The struggling economy and the shrinking resources.

And each of us has our own personal challenges,  a relationship under duress, job stress, no job stress,
worries for our future, our children's future, a loved one's illness, a loved one's death, an empty nest.   Whatever it is.  That life thing that so takes its toll on us.  Did you know that fully 20 % of us are suffering with some kind of mental illness at any one time.   That is one sobering statistic.

Whatever your particular challenges, draw on steadfastness to help you get through it.

Our African-American brothers and sisters call it, "Keep on keepin' on."

I'm good at steadfastness in the big stuff -- been practicing it for decades, so that helps.  What's new for me is the idea that I don't have to be steadfast alone, like I thought I did for so many years.  There are plenty of dear friends willing to  stand behind and beside us when we reach out.

There always were such folks in my life, but I often forgot to invite them into the loop.  Now I'm thinking, how do we build community if we all suffer our life's tests stoically alone?

So I travel the latest life stuff with a team -- both here and there -- beside me and behind me.  With me.  And I'm discovering, it makes all the difference.

May it be so for you too.....

Namaste

~ Kate

The Practice of Steadfastness

I choose my commitments wisely.

I remain true to my purpose.

I pace myself.

I am faithful to my relationships.

I don't allow doubts or tests to blow me off course.

I take what comes and persevere.

I am thankful for the gift of Steadfastness.
It gives me the strength to endure.

Reflection Questions

What/who helps me stay true to my purpose?

What are the commitments I want to keep at this time, and what do I need to let go for a time?

What helps me pace myself when things get overwhelming?

Who is part of my team when life is calling me to be steadfast?



No comments: